Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Direct Pickup of Marquette Release and Congrats, Rabbecka

Gonyo Signs to Play Professional Volleyball in Spain

MU senior signs with Club Atlético Voleibol Murcia

MILWAUKEE - Former Marquette University women's volleyball player Rabbecka Gonyo (Ingleside, Ill.) has signed to play professional volleyball for Club Atlético Voleibol Murcia in Murcia, Spain.

"I am just expecting to go there, work really, really hard and see the court as quickly as possible," Gonyo said. "I have been told that they need a middle presence because they have a good setter and outside hitter. The last game this season I was upset because I thought I was done playing volleyball, but now that I have the opportunity to play the sport that I love after college, it is pretty exciting. Not many people can say that they kept playing after they graduated."

Gonyo finished a stellar four-year career with Marquette as the program's career leader in hitting percentage (.303) and block assists (364), while ranking in the top 10 in kills (10th, 977) and total blocks (second, 431).

The American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) Honorable Mention All-American ended 2010 ranked second in the NCAA in hitting percentage (.429) with 325 kills and only 72 errors on 590 total attacks. That mark is the best single-season percentage in MU history.

With the help of Gonyo, the Golden Eagles notched their best season in school history in 2010, setting a program record for wins (23), BIG EAST Conference victories (11) and consecutive matches won (14). Gonyo was also one of three Golden Eagles named to the 2010 All-BIG EAST First Team.

“This is a special opportunity for Becka to continue her career onto the next level," Marquette head coach Bond Shymansky said. "But it’s also an amazing opportunity to experience a new culture, and see the world. Becka finished second in hitting percentage in the nation this year, and I knew it was only a matter of time until a professional team came calling. She contributed so much to our program and success, and now she will have the chance to test her skills at an even higher level. I admire her courage for taking such a big leap on such short notice. They called her one day, and she was practically on the plane the next day. We couldn’t be more proud of who she has become as a player and a person.”

Gonyo becomes the sixth professional volleyball player to have played for Shymansky.

"Bond has made me appreciate the game more than I ever have," Gonyo said. "He has made me love it and turned me into a great player. If it wasn't for him I don't think I would be where I am today."

The last Golden Eagle to play professionally was Kim Todd, a 2006 AVCA All-American, who played for Cantabria Infinita, also in Spain.

Murcia is located south of Valencia and competes in Spain's second female division (Superliga Femenina 2). The team is currently second in the league with a 9-2 record and Gonyo could play as early as Saturday in the squad's next match.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

congratulations Beka!!! Very proud of you :)
Aly & Patti Dawson